Sunday, January 28, 2007

Be who you are

Over the years, I've worked with a lot of different personalities. The one thing I've really come to respect is people who are true to themselves. Even if they're jerks, it somehow seems comforting to know that they're jerks at work and in their personal lives.

I find it sad when people act one way to you in person, and another way behind your back. You expect that from people in high school, but when you're cruising through the business world it seems reasonable to expect more from people you meet and work with.

Recently, I had the chance to work with someone who doesn't seem to get this (age is not an excuse here). They'll say one thing to my face, and a completely different thing behind my back. It seems so childish, but I won't go there myself. I guess it must bother me on some level if I'm even bothering to write about it. But, I won't let it go any further than that. I don't want to give them the satisfaction.

I just hope when they look in the mirror they can take a good look. There's still time to make things right. In the immortal words of Monty Python: "But I'm not dead yet!"

No comments: