Wednesday, February 07, 2007

My Interest In Wine

As many of you know, I’m kind of enamored with wine. I’m not a connoisseur, and I don’t have an unlimited budget, but I do like to experiment. I first became interested in wine when I moved to the bay area in 1988. I started exploring the area, and discovered the Napa and Sonoma valleys. There weren’t as many wineries there 20 years ago, but there were a lot.
The first wine club that I joined was Inglenook, originally founded by Gustave Niebaum. I still have a bottle of 1985 Gustave Niebaum Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon from that first club. It’s probably past its drinking window, so I’m thinking I should probably open it soon.

The winery is still there, but later became Neibaum-Coppola, and just recently changed its name again to Rubicon Estate. The Inglenook name was sold and is now being used on a value-priced series of wines. I visited the Coppola winery about a year ago and was pleasantly surprised with the quality and variety of wines they are producing.

The Coppola Black Label Claret is one of my “daily drinkers”. It drinks well on its own and pairs well with a lot of basic foods. Almost 20 years later, I’m still drinking wine from the same winery. Some things change, some things stay the same. More later on my experimentations with other wines and wineries.

No comments: